Saturday Waffling (February 6th, 2015)

We've got a full week of content for the blog this week. Monday will be the last TARDIS Eruditorum. Tuesday will kick off A Brief Treatise on the Rules of Thrones. Wednesday afternoon/evening will have comics reviews. Thursday will be Last War in Albion. And Friday is up in the air, but will be an audio post of some sort. Then on Saturday I'll announce the schedule for the blog going forward.

The blog going forward is going to be funded by Patreon. Right now that's at $279 per blog post. As long as it stays over $200, you can expect a blog post a week. If it gets to $400, that will increase to two, though I'll still only charge people once a week. Just $1 a week lets you vote on the bonus posts.

I also have been posting regularly on Tumblr for a bit now, including lots of random short posts on topics of potential interest to readers. I have anonymous asks turned on there, so feel free to follow me and to pepper me with questions.

But today, let's just do a nice sort of... I think the kids call it an "AMA" in the comments here. Could take a bit for me to actually get to answering questions, as I'm kind of busy putting the finishing touches on Monday's post, but I'll tackle things when I can. So. Fire away.

To tackle the one I expect...

Logopolis is almost done - I'm going to do my last work on the manuscript on Tuesday, probably, then send it both to the copy-editor to triple check that all the "turn to page X" lines are correct and to James so he can finish off the cover art. Once it's ready, I'll get copies en route to everybody who bought them at the Kickstarter, order a batch to start sending copies to people who get signed copies, and then announce the book here for general order. It'll be print only at first, though I don't rule out an eventual ebook. I'll start on the Volume 6 manuscript after that.

Comments

TheWatersOfMars 2 years ago

what kind of DW would you like to see next after Moffat? I worry that the next showrunner might be someone who's completely competent (a Gatiss or Whithouse type) but unable to produce anything more than an enjoyable, unchallenging interpretation of DW. So what sort of direction do you think the show can go to from here?

ferret 2 years ago

If you were showrunner, what would we see under your tenure?

thetvgenie 2 years ago

Say there's going to be a new Doctor Who spin-off - what would be your first choice? Characters? Series length? Target audience? Villain? Setting?

Patrick 2 years ago

What would the form of your perfect Blake/DW crossover take?

Chris 2 years ago

Big Finish just announced they will be doing Colin Baker's regeneration story in September. Can we expect an essay on that to appear in the book?

Multiple Ducks 2 years ago

This comment has been removed by the author.

Multiple Ducks 2 years ago

Propose a meal you'd cook for a TARDIS crew.

breadzone 2 years ago

If you had the power to commission a one-off special crossing Doctor Who over with any other TV series, what would you choose? How would each show benefit the other?

jane 2 years ago

Is your audio thingy at the end of the week going to be hosted by Pex Lives, home to the recently fabulous discussion of Paradise Towers?

Terry 2 years ago

When will you do Eruditorium posts for the Capaldi era? I'm thinking that a three- or six-year gap until you do them would be good. Allow the episodes to... assimilate into history.

Anthony Strand 2 years ago

What elements introduced in the RTD and/or Moffat eras do you think are most likely to be brought back by future showrunners?

Pen Name Pending 2 years ago

Considering I'm not sure when I'll get around to the books, can ASOIAF/Game of Thrones be just as good when one knows the spoilers? I mean, I already am aware that almost everyone dies and I have some knowledge of the European history it's based on.

Andrew Morton 2 years ago

Has anything excited you from this weeks announcements from Marvel and DC?

On a related note, which comics publisher do you think is producing the most interesting and/or innovative titles?

dm 2 years ago

Did you stop doing cooking posts in response to the backlash over your excessive use of salt? Have you had a long, hard think about your choices in this area?

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

No. Yes. And my food is delicious.

(The overwhelming majority of people badly undersalt their food. Don't be like them.)

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

G Willow Wilson on anything excites me. And generally, I think Image is at the top of the game right now, though of Marvel and DC, my tastes are very much Marvel of late.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I think the only twist that's probably improved by actually being a surprise is Ned's death. Other than that, it's fun even with loads of spoilers.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I don't know. That really depends on how the remainder of the Capaldi era plays out.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

It has no plans to be, though that's certainly a thing I could consider. Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to fill the amount of time.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I'd try to make whatever they said they liked.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I don't know. There's a chance I'll have the book out by then. Even if I don't, I already have Time's Champion, which is a Baker regeneration story, so there would have to be something Big Finish specifically added to the conversation. I didn't do Spiral Scratch, for instance, so it's certainly not automatic.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

The cancellation of the show, one suspects.

Terry 2 years ago

Another question, because I am greedy and therefore not a person who is not greedy. What stuff (comics, books, television shows or episodes, video games) do you simply classify, in your head, as Works of Pure Genius?

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

The contents of Blake's visions are all real. So basically, Vincent and the Doctor, with apocalyptic doom.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

Over three years of writing about the series has really gotten me to the point where the thing I want most out of any new episode is just to be something I haven't seen before and wasn't expecting. So basically, what I want is "none of the answers to this question that I could ever come up with."

Douglas McDonald 2 years ago

Have you listened to the Big Finish adaptations of Love and War and The Highest Science? If so, what did you think (both in themselves and compared to the novels on which they were based)?

(I ask only because I was inspired to read both books, and to listen to both adaptations, by your excellent articles on each.)

Anton B 2 years ago

It needs to be called Blake's Heaven.

nimonus 2 years ago

Are you going to re-send the Kickstarter surveys for the Logopolis book? I've moved again since you shipped me the Hartnell book.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

Seems like that would be a good idea, yes.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I've not. I don't listen to a lot of audio stuff, to be honest.

Matthew Blanchette 2 years ago

If you were invited to write an episode of Doctor Who, what would it be about? How would it fit into a larger series?

Pôl Jackson 2 years ago

Will your Doctor Who audio commentaries be available for non-backers?

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

Yes, at least the set promised via the Kickstarter.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

Probably the Blake idea discussed above.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

That's horrible. I love it.

Champiness 2 years ago

Speaking as someone who's been reading this site due to a fascination with seeing your mind at work as opposed to any real familiarity with the things you've been commenting on (that mythology project went alright, by the way - its merits were almost all attributable to this blog), I'm curious: what do you consider - in Evil of the Daleks terms - to be the "Sandifer Element", the thing you bring to these various source materials that makes this blog worthwhile? I think it's an especially pertinent question in light of your stated hope to break into fiction in the near future (a move I'm looking forward to immensely, by the way - I've been following your Tumblr long enough to see what I think the base components of Project Orc are, even apart from the "style blog", and they excite me a lot).

Chris 2 years ago

Anton B wins the comment section for all time.

Daru 2 years ago

Brilliant Anton!

Daru 2 years ago

What has been the most surprising/memorable moment(s)/experience during the Eruditorum?

And back in May I paid for Volume 1 of the print copy of The Last War in Albion, do you know when that will be shipped out (I am overseas).

Thanks as ever Phil, and looking forwards to savouring this last week of the Eruditorum.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

It'll be a bit - volume one is going to include the V for Vendetta chapter currently in progress and two further chapters, although both of those should be shorter than Swamp Thing/V for Vendetta. Once I finish them, I'll start work on revisions, and it should be a fairly normal book process and timeline from there, but I expect it'll be summer before Book One wraps on the blog.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

As for most surprising/memorable moment during the Eruditorum, two spring to mind, both fairly close to one another. The first was the incredible success of the Kickstarter, and the realization that I really was on track to be able to make a living off of this nonsense.

The second was when I did the conference at De Paul University, and showed up for the meet and greet dinner the night before. I walked into the restaurant and was immediately buttonholed by Rob Shearman, who wanted to geek out with me.

jane 2 years ago

The books are just different enough from the TV show (okay, yes, vice-versa, but in terms of approaching the books from this perspective) that they're a real hoot even knowing what's basically coming. A lot of the details are different, and much fun can be had at the meta-level -- i.e., thinking in terms of adaptation.

And, of course, the third-person limited POV chapters add another dimension to the characterization.

Daru 2 years ago

Brill, thanks Phil for the Eruditorum moments and the timeline for the book.

Christopher "Peaky" Brown 2 years ago

Any teasers you can give concerning your opinions and/or critical perspectives on The Auntie Matter and Festival of Death for someone who hasn't picked up Volume 5 yet? I'm very interested to see if you went with the former where I thought you might go with it (namely as an alternate take on the Williams era as a continuation of the Hinchcliffe with comedy pastiches in place of horror). Meanwhile, Festival of Death was the first Who book I ever read so I have quite a vested interest in that one...

ferret 2 years ago

Lets hope they ask for something that can easily be made out of just Water and Milk

What Happened To Robbie? 2 years ago

Do you listen to music while you're writing? And if so do you have certain "go-to" albums/artists that you find particularly conducive to the process?

Anton B 2 years ago

*Takes bow*

Seeing_I 2 years ago

How about an essay comparing the three different versions of Six's final tale?

BerserkRL 2 years ago

If only BBC and Disney would merge, then Jar Jar could be the next companion.

No no, much better idea -- the Doctor could regenerate into Jar Jar. Then the TARDIS could be renamed the JarJardis.

Chris 2 years ago

You, sir, are right out of line.

Now I will leave this comment section and practice playing my guitartar binks.

Kit 2 years ago

If you're looking for general opinions, not just Phil's, I think it's hard to make a case for any currently-active publisher as having more innovation across their line than Koyama.

Prandeamus 2 years ago

As we wait with bated breath for the final Tardis Eruditorum there is a shimmering effect on the Sandifer avatar. Oh my dear readership, you have been naive! Did you not notice that Phil Sandifer is an anagram of Half Inspired?

encyclops 2 years ago

If you could redeem one classic Doctor Who episode, not through a redemptive reading but just full on fixing what was wrong with it so that you could unreservedly enjoy it, which one would it be and what would you change?

Same question about the new series?

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I'd make Talons less racist. Not sure on the new series.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I generally do not listen to music while writing, I'm afraid.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I'm afraid not - the entire point of the extra essays is to give something exclusive to book buyers.

Philip Sandifer 2 years ago

I feel like I may be the worst possible person to answer this. The sheer madness necessary to actually attempt it? I honestly don't know.

cardboardrobot 2 years ago

I don't get a chance to comment much around here, but I just wanted to add my vote in support of using more salt. Salt is good. I like salt. But then my blood pressure runs a bit on the lower side. More salt is not for everybody.

ferret 2 years ago

personally, I'd do something to fix "42". I'm not sure what's wrong with it though, I can't understand it's general low regard. Probably my favourite Martha episode.

encyclops 2 years ago

I was trying to think what my answer would be. "Talons" does seem like the standout choice for the classic series. The game is to find an episode that's almost really terrific but has that one specific but ruinous "well, except for" problem. Maybe I'd make "The Ark" less racist? Or inject some life into the Metebelis 3 scenes of "Planet of the Spiders"? Or do something to make "The Pirate Planet" work (for me, obviously)?

For the new series, top of my list would be to fix "Last of the Time Lords," probably by rethinking Dobby Doctor and Jesus Pan Doctor. I could also see dialing back the Slitheen just a tad in "Aliens of London"/"WW3".

encyclops 2 years ago

Also, I quite liked "42" -- far from my favorite of the season, but I'm with you, it's underrated.

David Anderson 2 years ago

I like it as well. It's easy to say 42 is trying to be standard Doctor Who; I think what it's doing is trying to work out what standard Doctor Who looks like after two and a half seasons which have been doing everything for the first time; which is something worth doing.
But as Phil says, the title and concept could belong on a far more ambitious script.

Daru 2 years ago

Of for an appropriate Who inspired name: Pedlar Finish

Or of we end up with a surprise extended ending as the ships sail into the West: Dinar Elf Ship.

Kit Power 2 years ago

Almost certainly too late to the party, but which episode of Who surprised you the most on the way though, either because of the disparity between the fan consensus and your own opinion or just on it's own merits?

And, you know, thanks. It's been an amazing ride, and reading someone who has as much love for this show as I do write about it with the level of intelligence you possess has been a privilege and an inspiration.