Saturday Waffling (July 18th, 2015)

Finally getting my teeth into the extra essays for the Davison/Baker book, so that's nice. Shouldn't be much longer on that. After that, Last War in Albion Book One, alongside my end-of-year targeted collection of a couple of my stand-alone pieces. So that's all fun.

Speaking of the Davison/Baker book, I'd love to do an essay on the original Paul Cornell story serialized in Queen Bat that he later adapted into Timewyrm: Revelation. Anyone who has a lead on a copy that they could help me with, I'd be appreciative.

"Blackwater" will go up Monday, and then "Valar Morghulis" the week after, with the Super Nintendo Project resuming in August. I'm not planning on going back to Brief Treatise until at least Season Six's transmission. Super Nintendo Project will run until mid-September, at which point I'll either switch to Doctor Who reviews or, if the Patreon gets above $325 by then, do Super Nintendo Project alongside Doctor Who reviews.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell will go up tonight. It's a good one.

How did people end up voting in the Hugos? And also, reactions to the Season Nine trailer from ComicCon? Or to any other announcements from last weekend?

Comments

Matt Marshall 1 year, 9 months ago

Slightly surprised not to see a comment on Steven Universe after this week's eps as it seems to align almost exactly with everything you think television should be doing!

Seeing_I 1 year, 9 months ago

Season 9 trailer looks amazing. The eyeless people are truly spooky, and I'm very excited to see something set on a sea-base. The shots of a Dalek city, a Silver Dalek lurking behind a Bronze one, and people fleeing across a blasted plain with WWI-style bi-planes firing Dalek beams at them makes me think that we are indeed returning to Genesis-era Skaro, which is exciting and intriguing.

The real news for me though is Lego Dimensions. It amuses me to no end to think that, after 30+ years of failed attempts, somebody finally found a way to make a pDoctor Who videogame that's creative, not too violent, is fun and funny and makes sense as an extension of the Doctor Who universe. And how? By doing what so many Doctor Who stories do - by crashing the Doctor into another story (or in this case, game) entirely, and watching it warp itself around his narrative gravity. That is sheer genius, actually.

Eric Rosenfield 1 year, 9 months ago

I voted in the Hugos for everything that wasn't a Puppies nom, except for the illustrator category, where I didn't like any of the noms and voted no award.

Unknown 1 year, 9 months ago

You might try this gentleman--http://www.sfuniverse.org/about/about-me-the-author/--whose website indicates he has a fanzine collection that at least at one point included Queen Bat. A tenuous lead if ever there was one.

Scurra 1 year, 9 months ago

It's just aggravating that I seemingly won't get to play it. After more than a decade of steadfastly supporting TT's Lego games (and almost all of them bought at full price rather than in sales!) this will - City Undercover notwithstanding - be the first one that will be appearing on all platforms except the PC.
Whilst I understand the technical reason behind this (it's the same reason I can't play the full Disney Infinity), it's immensely annoying. I live in hope that some sort of PC compromise will happen, but it feels more like having the Lego Doctor Who game teased and then snatched away from me...

camestrosfelapton 1 year, 9 months ago

For most works-categories I voted No Award. Exceptions:
Best novel 1. Three body problem, 2. Ancillary Sword, 3. Goblin Emperor 4. No Award
Best Graphic Work: 1. Ms Marvel, 2. Saga, 3. Sex Criminals, 4. Rat Queens 5. No Award
Best Dramatic - Short: 1. Dr Who 2. Orphan Black 3. No Award
Best Dramatic - Long: all of them in some sort of order.

It wasn't the worst thing in the world reading through the packet but more of a duty than a pleasure.

Season 9 trailer - visually fantastic.
Lego Dimensions - as Scurra said, a wider set of platforms would be good. Still Lego+Doctor sounds like genius

Aylwin 1 year, 9 months ago

The trailer:-

A reminder that Gomez, like Smith and Cumberbatch, is a manifestation of Moffat's Cheekbone Agenda.

The return of the Zygons must shorten the odds of the return of Zygon Osgood.

And boggling a bit at the carcase-bodied skull-faced vagina-mouthed monster. What sex-and-death hijinks are going on there?

Aylwin 1 year, 9 months ago

Ah, I see Osgood has already been confirmed. That'll be me paying attention then.

Prandeamus 1 year, 9 months ago

Tangential to t his discussion (but definitely Doctor Who related) is this ... http://sunthisweek.com/2015/05/29/dancing-to-doctor-who-in-apple-valley/ A dance adaptation of three 11th Doctor tales. It's all done now, and I have no idea how good or bad it was, but it's cheering in its own way, don't you think?

Prandeamus 1 year, 9 months ago

This comment has been removed by the author.

Daru 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not much of a computer games nowadays, but if this game had been available on other platforms I would played the hell out of it!

Daru 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought that the trailer looked brilliantly weird - yeah I love the visual look and the strangeness of it, and yeah (!) to the return of the weird.

For the Hugos I voted No Award in all categories except Best Graphic Work with Ms Marvel at the top slot.

Comment deleted 1 month, 1 week ago