Saturday Waffling (June 6th, 2015)

If you missed it, yesterday's Last War in Albion was something of a big post, culminating in the moment where I finally offer something of a thesis statement/summation of the sort of endlessly building history of Alan Moore that's been going on, namely that he's a con man. There's still a brief chapter on The Ballad of Halo Jones to wrap up Book One (actually brief; it's the shortest of the eleven chapters in Book One), and then on to Book Two. Excitement and fear abound.

Speaking of excitement and fear, with no shortage of deep ambivalence, I'm interviewing Theodore Beale today. What are you doing?

Comments

Eric Gimlin 2 years, 1 month ago

Being glad I'm NOT dealing with Theodore Beale today.

Trying to figure out what I want you to do as my commissioned essay from the Kickstarter. (I've been waffling for months...)

Wondering why the heck there hasn't been more of a reaction to your thesis statement yesterday, since as I said reading it was like a kick to the head. It really, really does seem to explain a lot about the war and Alan Moore's actions therein.

Wondering where the heck WicDiv goes from here after the last issue, which was in its own way also like a kick to the head. May go grab the rest of this week's books; I've reached the point where I can't wait for the weekend and get WicDiv off comixology on Wednesdays as well as my print copy at the store.

Froborr 2 years, 1 month ago

Glycon may have been a hand puppet. Moore knows this, and in fact expresses pleasure at the idea when it's brought up in interviews. Him being an honest con man, who respects other honest con men, isn't that farfetched.

Aylwin 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, though there's always been peculiarly little comment on LWiA posts. (I assume, given the success of the Kickstarter, that this can't just be that people aren't reading/aren't interested.)

Personally, I was quite taken with that section, and the "honour among thieves" bit in particular, as a pithy and plausible piece of character analysis, in general terms of human psychology. But since my knowledge of Alan Moore essentially extends no further than what I've read in LWiA, I'm in no position to comment meaningfully on it as a description of the actual person in question.

Kit 2 years, 1 month ago

Seeing Bill Drummond, one of my favourite and most inspiring creators, thinkers and conmen for over 23 years, give a lecture about art and raffle off a bed.

ferret 2 years, 1 month ago

Finally redesigning my website so it doesn't look like we went out of business 5 years ago. A window cleaner washes everyone's windows but never his own house...

jane 2 years, 1 month ago

My reaction was, "Oh, yes, of course, it's so obvious when you put it like that."

timber-munki 2 years, 1 month ago

Starting to decorate my living room, painted the radiator, looks like it needs another coat but on the plus side managed to not get any paint on me and the paint cleans out of the brush really nicely. I'm going to get round to more sanding of the doors & sklrting provided I can cope with the vibrations from the sander.

brownstudy 2 years, 1 month ago

Right now, at the workplace banking overtime I can draw on later. Then to see the Brian Wilson biopic with my good ladywife followed by a light supper.

Iain Coleman 2 years, 1 month ago

Doing prep work for what I think will be an innovative and effective horror screenplay. I'd had the structural concept in my mind for quite some time, but walking round Shoreditch the other week I finally got the story.

Seeing_I 2 years, 1 month ago

Best of luck with Beale!

I'm taking a hike and then going to a Gay Men's Chorus concert.

Bob Dillon 2 years, 1 month ago

Writing up some Thermodynamics worked answers for my students.

Bob Dillon

Daru 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes I have been pretty surprised at the lack of comment on the War overall. I have not managed to comment on yesterday's post but was feeling similar to Jane and was really loving feeling and seeing the story of Alan.

peeeeeeet 2 years, 1 month ago

Watching Sense8! Though having now finished that, not sure about the rest of the day. Practising an instrument, possibly

Jenda 2 years, 1 month ago

Listening to Charles Mingus for the day, who I've recently discovered I love in my attempt to get into jazz (thanks to a good Freaky Trigger piece from some weeks back). Very enjoyable.

For others interested: http://freakytrigger.co.uk/ft/2015/02/kind-of-bleugh-or-seven-better-stand-alone-ways-into-jazz-in-the-early-age-of-the-long-playing-disc-possibly/

Anton B 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't always comment on LWiA but I'm certainly enjoying the ride.
I also had the 'oh...of course' reaction to your con man hypothesis and am left wondering whether you will extend that diagnosis to Grant Morrison.

Oh, and best of British luck with Theodore Beale. Blimey! That's an encounter I want transcribed.

camestrosfelapton 2 years, 1 month ago

I started a new blog and now I'm addicted to watching the little graphs in WordPress. So, I'll be watching my little graphs like a new parent watching a sleeping baby and obsessing over the File770 puppy round-ups.
Looking forward to the Beale-Sandifer discussion-thing

Christopher Kelley 2 years, 1 month ago

Are we getting a recording?

Philip Sandifer 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, the Pex Lives folks will host it. Some editing to do and the like, but I assume it'll be soon.

Jarl 2 years, 1 month ago

Playing with action figures and buying some online. Planning on watching Sense8. I hear there's a pegging scene in it, and I've gotta get in on that.

peeeeeeet 2 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm. The only scene that springs to mind would probably only be described as pegging by a TERF. And even then, the, uh, position would suggest not, to me. (Unless it happened during THAT BIT PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN IT WILL KNOW WHICH BIT I MEAN, in which case I was probably boggling too much to notice.)

Seeing_I 2 years, 1 month ago

Looks like it's up. Goodbye, workplace productivity!

Daru 2 years, 1 month ago

I tried to post on Saturday, but I was being filmed over the weekend on the Isle of Skye by a French TV show - Philippe Gougler (presenter), "Des Trains Pas Comme Les Autres".

The show takes trips to other countries and discovers unusual people and places. The asked for me to take them on a Druid and storytelling journey through the sacred landscape there, so I took them on a kind of Faerie Psychogeography.