Sunday Pancaking (December 28th, 2014)

So, what'd you get for Christmas? (Was it an eReader? If so, I've got a sale on ebooks going on...)

This is Philip Sandifer: Writer, currently featuring TARDIS Eruditorum and The Last War in Albion

I am currently working on: the secret Doctor Who project.

Post of the week: The Impossible Girl

Comments

djselby 2 years, 3 months ago

A new laptop, touch-screen, because I really needed one.
A new piano, electric, because I really fancied one.

A coat, some scarves and jumpers, because winter-wear is - and always will be - cool.

And some DVDs, including a few from Classic Who - The Enemy of the World (just watched), The Seeds of Doom, Kamelion Tales, Black Orchid, The Hand of Fear.

BerserkRL 2 years, 3 months ago

I got over $100 worth of monthly patronage for my two Patreon accounts, and a dream editorial board for my new journal.

ferret 2 years, 3 months ago

Although my young son apparantly picked up everything Dr Who in the shop, my wife vetoed them all on the basis that none of them were as cool as the TARDIS USB hub they'd previously got me for my birthday. And she was probably right too.

Instead they got me a pair of converse-like red "sandshoes" without realising the connection.

Frezno 2 years, 3 months ago

Some new headphones, a Mel Brooks movie box set, and a few books. One of which was Lance Parkin's Time Unincorporated volume!

Neo Tuxedo 2 years, 3 months ago

Four Blu-rays (The Croods, Frozen, Maleficent, X-Men: Days of Future Past), six tankobons (Attack on Titan 14, Aot: No Regrets 1, Black Butler 18, Soul Eater 23, Soul Eater NOT! 4, Zero's Familiar: Chevalier 2), a good shirt, a sweater, and bedroom slippers. And there's more to come, as my brother and his wife and kids will be swinging past our house this afternoon on their way home from Christmas at her parents' house.

jane 2 years, 3 months ago

A variety pack of good dark roasted coffee, with matching coffee filters;

Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor on BluRay;

Volume Five of TARDIS Eruditorum

jane 2 years, 3 months ago

The latter of which also came with an apology. "I didn't realize it was used, let alone in such bad shape," my mother lamented, frowning at the cover. "I'll understand if you want me to find a new one." After I patiently explained that it was, indeed, a new one, the best she could muster was a faint bewilderment.

Eric Rosenfield 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm Jewish. I kind of wish Doctor Who would do a Hannukah episode, if only because it's always annoyed me that the show would privilege one religion's holidays over another. Also, a Hannukah episode could be great: he could actually go back to Selucid Judea and witness the Maccabean revolution and the birth of the Hasmonean dynasty. Judah Maccabe as a companion! What? No, come back, really, this is a great idea, why are you all running away...

reservoirdogs 2 years, 3 months ago

Hogfather, Mr. Punch, Thanos Rising, True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, Crooked Little Vein, Origin II, and a Megaphone.

elvwood 2 years, 3 months ago

I got two Big Finish boxsets on download, a nice shirt, a pocket diary, and £5. Which I spent straight away in a certain sale not so far away.

Daniel Tessier 2 years, 3 months ago

The new David Mitchell book, Gaiman and Riddell's 'The Sleeper and the Spindle' (which is gorgeous), Pratchett's 'A Slip of the Keyboard,' 'The Frood,' 'The Wicked & The Divine' tp (requested on your recommendation), complete Sapphire and Steel, unhealthy amounts of chocolate, some wine, some posh teas, a surprising amount of chutney, a cuddly dinosaur, a dinosaur dot-to-dot book, some dominoes, a Swahili-English dictionary and a Monster in My Pocket on a necklace.

Pen Name Pending 2 years, 3 months ago

Or a Jewish companion. "Yeah, my family isn't doing anything today, let's have an adventure!"

djselby 2 years, 3 months ago

The fact is, though, that society privileges Christmas over other holidays. It's a holiday in the way that Hannukah isn't; it's celebrated by atheists, and it's a televisual event. Doctor Who gets its best viewing figures at Christmas because it's Christmas.

arcbeatle 2 years, 3 months ago

I got a copy of Skyrim (FUS RO DAH!), A Doctor Who Novel "The Blood Cell" by James Goss, F.W Murnow's "The Last Laugh" on DVD and a Firefly callander :).

Katherine Sas 2 years, 3 months ago

I got the JK Rowling/Robert Galbraith Cormoran Strike books, so looking forward to checking those out; Plus some books of Irish mythology for my trip to Ireland later this year. Who-related, I got An Adventure in Space and Time on Blu-ray. I also have a $25 Amazon gift card, so I think I'll pick up the next few Eruditorum books (I still need 3-5). Oh, and the volume of Stories edited by Neil Gaiman.

Anton B 2 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, as a kid I disliked the slightly patronising way I was expected to get excited by Hannukah just because all the Christians and non-believers were having Christmas. The two festivals are not comparable despite both being pasted over existing winter solstice celebrations to assist conversion of 'pagan idol worshippers'.
As an adult I choose to acknowledge Hannukah as part of my heritage, I'll wish fellow Jews a Happy Hannukah and may even light some candles on the menorah I inherited from my nan. I'll also wish my Christian friends a Happy Christmas, my Wiccan, Pagan etc friends a Happy Solstice or Mithras or Saturnalia and my Hindu and Muslim friends a Happy Divali or Eid. I've even been known to adopt the American "Happy Holidays" if I'm not sure. Personally I celebrate 'Xmas', a term I've co-opted to describe that thing that happens every December which includes such non belief-specific traditions as present-giving, eating chocolate, mince pies, pudding and rich, spicy food, bringing a tree indoors and decorating it, fairy lights, Santa Claus and the Doctor Who Xmas special.
As to a non-Christian companion, that'd be nice but we have already had some. There's the Gallifreyans Susan and Romana and other non terrestrial companions like Nyssa and Leela of course and I don't think any of the Earth-born or descended companions were ever identified with a religion apart from Amy, Rory, Rose and Donna who were specifically shown as Christian via church weddings (in Rose's case her parents').

timber-munki 2 years, 3 months ago

The Robert Wyatt official biography, Sukirerae CD by the Tweedys, socks, chocolate, shortbread, a pen and some vouchers so I've pre-ordered Walt Simonson's Complete Starslammers & GI Joe Vs. Transformers vol.1, looking at getting the new edition of Milligan & Fegredo's Enigma and/or the Invaders Classic Collection vol. 2

Neo Tuxedo 2 years, 3 months ago

Follow-up: they've come and gone. We went out to our local Fuddruckers for various meats of bacon cheeseburger; I got another good shirt and a pair of khakis sized to my new waist, with the promise of late-breaking books-or-something sometime this week. I gave my brother Prince Lestat in hardcover and Pulp Fiction on Blu-ray; my sister-in-law the new Stephanie Plum; my older nephew Four (the Divergent series gaiden book); and my younger nephew The Blood of Olympus (the latest from the Percy Jackson 'verse).

Nyq Only 2 years, 3 months ago

A badge making machine. Fear my badge making powers!

ferret 2 years, 3 months ago

Hah, that's brilliant! Hope James Taylor reads this :-)

Dan Abel 2 years, 3 months ago

I have a copy of Lovely Biscuits to give for christmas. If Mr Sandifer has a PO Box, or a way to share an address I should really get it in the post. It's already late (unless he's found a copy)

encyclops 2 years, 3 months ago

Two improv books I've had my eye on, the latest DVD set of I, Claudius, a copy of Fiasco (if you have some six-sided dice and a handful of theater friends, you too can improvise your own hilarious heist movie), and a small drone I managed to lose in about ten minutes.

Jesse 2 years, 3 months ago

I got a check, a jar of nuts, and this CD collection.

Jarl 2 years, 3 months ago

If there had been an eighth Doctor series, a Hanukkah special would have been perfect.

Anton B 2 years, 3 months ago

@Jarl
Of course! With John Hurt as the shamash. (The ninth candle which doesn't count but is used for lighting all the others.)

Daru 2 years, 3 months ago

The main thing I got was a chance to rest. My partner and I love this time of year and also do it in a very low-key way, as well as celebrating the Winter Solstice (which this is an extension of in my head anyway). We've had a very stressful year, so it was glorious to have a pot-luck Christmas lunch in a local village hall in front of an open fire with shared food.

Thing-wise I got a cast iron stag's head with a bell to put up outside the house, a book of Highland myths, a knitted hedgehog to join my 'clan' of story creatures, a bobble hat, a knitted mobile phone cover and Game of Thrones season 1-3 (looking forwards to the reviews Phil.

Thanks for a good year everyone - and thanks to you Phil.

Neo Tuxedo 2 years, 3 months ago

Follow-up to the follow-up: the late-breaking books have arrived. They were Blue Exorcist, v.12, and Mayo Chiki!, v.7. Halfway to Twelfth Night, my Christmas gift-getting is complete. But, in the words of a great American philosopher, it's not the getting; it's not the giving; it's the loving.

ferret 2 years, 3 months ago

"Twelfth Night" - I predict Capaldi's long, long reign will end on a Christmas special, and this will be the title.

Patrick 2 years, 3 months ago

I got the Thames & Hudson edition of Blake's complete illuminated books. Meant to brag about it earlier :)

Neo Tuxedo 2 years, 3 months ago

Belated postscript: Monday afternoon, I got another package in the mail, which I presume to have been from my brother and his family. Guardians of the Galaxy, the super-deluxe edition complete with Blu-ray 3D disc.