Sunday Pancaking (July 13th, 2014)

To be honest, it's been a bit of a week. We flew back from Phoenix on Tuesday, stayed in New York for a few hours so we could see the first show of Seeming's tour, then got home to discover that user error on the part of the realtor showing our apartment meant that our beloved kitty Coraline had escaped.

As Coraline is a blind kitty with respiratory issues that lead her to go into sneezing fits and spray snot everywhere when she's stressed, we were, as you might imagine, not optimistic about her recovery, and the few days since Tuesday have not exactly been highly productive.

Then, this evening, we got a call from someone saying they were pretty sure they had our cat in their backyard. They'd seen the flyers we'd posted, despite living a solid two blocks outside the radius we'd thought to flyer, and now we are joyfully dealing with the cat phenomenon known as "non-recognition aggression," as her sister Lettie seems to have decided she's actually a Nestene duplicate. (Lettie is, of course, handling this in the completely appropriate way, which is to say mostly hiding behind furniture and hissing at her.)

So life is good, but I'm at an utter loss for anything to talk about this week, and honestly, am too busy stopping every fourth word I type to go pet Coraline some more. So I'm going to get back to Secret Doctor Who Project, which I'm trying to finish a chapter of before I wrap up Swamp Thing (twenty parts, I'm guessing) and move on to the extra essays for the Williams book in the hopes that I can get that out before the equinox. Which will probably require I make it more than four words without getting up to adore a kitty.

Comments

Sean Case 3 years, 2 months ago

I didn't know cats could get Capgras syndrome.

Jack Graham 3 years, 2 months ago

So Lettie's actually behind the sofa?

Pen Name Pending 3 years, 2 months ago

1. Either BBC Worldwide has terrible security, or someone who works for them has a radical agenda about how spoilers should not be kept from the public. (Because now the entire [unfinished] episode was leaked.)

2. Glad Coraline made it home--just like in the book! (I love the names of the cats)

peeeeeeet 3 years, 2 months ago

1. I think this was part of the original snafu, not a fresh leak. Don't know why it took longer to make it to the torrents, though.

Bennett 3 years, 2 months ago

From what I've read, peeeeeeet's right. Apparently all of these materials were uncovered on a BBC America file sharing server that was not intended to be publicly accessible, and included both transcripts and rough edits for translation/dubbing purposes (done earlier than usual as part of the international push the series is getting). I'm reliably informed that the first two episodes are currently being shared in rough edit form, and have unreliably heard that as many as six were discovered.

All of which must be heartbreaking for the scores of people in Cardiff who put so much effort into delivering the best show possible and keeping its secrets safe...but I have to admit that I'm rather selfishly excited by this. For when August 23rd finally rolls round I'll be able to hit the torrents and examine Deep Breath from three different stages of its life - getting an unprecedented peep behind the curtain.

That's assuming some bugger doesn't ruin it all by dumping a spoiler load in the meantime. (Ideally, these materials would have leaked out after the initial broadcast. Truth be told, I'd be just as excited for a leak of a rough edit of The Long Game.)

Anton B 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad your cat story had a happy ending. You had me worried for a moment.

I am studiously avoiding all spoilers re series 8. I would hope all Eruditorialists will respect that, even if you couldn't resist a peek, some of us wish to approach the new Doctor in the way the showrunner intended. So please keep spoilers off this site. Thank you.

On a happier note. It occured to me the other day, and this seems as good a place as any to suggest it, that when Phil comes to the end of his declared run on the Tardis Eruditorum part of this blog site. (I'm assuming with Time of the Doctor)I'd like to think we could all still come here and discuss matters of Time Lords, pop culture and gossip about Doctor Who. So can I request, Doctor Sandifer, that while you might not be posting regular updates,after the Smith era, that you keep a thread open (perhaps a Saturday or Sunday waffling) for that purpose?

Andy 3 years, 2 months ago

I know it is Sunday and you may not be able to get it but in the UK there is a very good product called Feliway. It is a synthetic feline pheromone which can help a lot with stressed cats. In the UK it is available over the counter at pet shops.

Andy 3 years, 2 months ago

Sorry for putting my response in the wrong place (possibly doing it again) I should add that although it is available from pet shops that doesn't mean it is useless. The veterinary charity I work for uses it a lot.

TheSmilingStallionInn 3 years, 2 months ago

We got it here in the States as well. The vet gave it to my mother when we picked up a new old cat who didn't like other cats and was terrorizing our other cat that's been with us for years. (According to the box, the US version comes from New Jersey and is distributed by a Canadian company.)

TheSmilingStallionInn 3 years, 2 months ago

He's already covered Time of the Doctor in the midst of the River Song re-order, because of Tasha Lem or something like that. He placed it in Flesh and Stone slot, I believe, after doing Name of the Doctor in the Silence in the Library slot.

TheSmilingStallionInn 3 years, 2 months ago

I still believe that the very last story he will cover on this blog will be The Big Bang.

razorfool 3 years, 2 months ago

Looks like something's going to come up today.

Alex 3 years, 2 months ago

A big old trailer was just on the telly!

Alex 3 years, 2 months ago

Right here, in fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Froborr 3 years, 2 months ago

Not only can they get it, it is extremely common. My mother's cat Sergei would forget the entire family every time he got out (which happened every couple of years).

Froborr 3 years, 2 months ago

So new trailer. Didn't care for it; it was pretty much a Transformers trailer. Of course, it's hard to tell whether or not that implies anything regarding season 8, because all trailers are Transformers trailers these days.

Matthew Blanchette 3 years, 2 months ago

No one's seeding Episode 2; it's only at 0.2% for me, right now. Not sure whether, on the whole, it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Matthew Blanchette 3 years, 2 months ago

If you'd read the leaked scripts, at least you'd know which episodes the various shots are from, and how they'd fit together...

Pen Name Pending 3 years, 2 months ago

They are really withholding information and building mystery and suspense. I kind of like not knowing what's going to happen anyway. Still, the trailer was a bit strange.

I am interested to see if Capaldi is really going to have a "Dalek story" this series or if Moffat is going to skirt around the likely contractual (because of the Nation Estate) tradition of one Dalek story per season like he did in Series 6.

Unknown 3 years, 2 months ago

Does Lettie have a vial of antiplastic handy?

Anton B 3 years, 2 months ago

That's true, and a very nice 'final' post it was too. I was using that episode more as as marker for the end of this section of Phil's blog which in retrospect, when read back will be the last chronological entry.

Anyway my suggestion stands. We've built up a great community of minds here. Be a shame to lose it.

Seeing_I 3 years, 2 months ago

There is most definitely a Dalek story.

encyclops 3 years, 2 months ago

Funny; this was the first teaser/trailer/anything I've liked for Season 8, and I've jumped over to the optimistic side of the fence. I may be naive in thinking that the Doctor-related themes they're teasing will actually play themselves out in a satisfying and moving way, but for the first time I'm truly interested in Capaldi's Doctor.

More importantly, though, Philip, I'm glad you've got your kitty back. I'd be losing my mind if either of mine got out, so I'm pleased that you've still got yours (mind and cat).

Whittso 3 years, 2 months ago

Ahhhhhhh

Gilvert Allein 2 years, 10 months ago

Featured in publications, such as the Los Angeles Times, Business 2.0, and Yale News, this company boasts a staff of Ivy League educated editors and writers on their staff with a track record of producing personal statements that get results! smartcustomwriting.net for all of the students to prepare term papers or, any college papers.

Frank Danley 2 years, 2 months ago

Envision appreciating Sunday morning breakfast with a stunning mountain ridge perspective of San Francisco and the sound range. Beginning on Mother's Day you can go along with us at the month to month West Point Inn hotcake breakfast.
Get posts from write my paper for cheap

Comment deleted 1 year, 7 months ago

Jenifer 1 year, 1 month ago

Sunday's are always such lazy days, this is a great review of your day! Keep up the good work. best essays services reviews