Vengeance on Varos Commentary

Hey, remember these? I barely do. This was recorded way back in early September and, basically, I've just been busy with this whole launching a website thing and forgot about it. In any case, here's Jack and me doing commentary tracks on Vengeance on Varos for your amusement, and one of these days I reckon we'll do Paradise Towers.

You can grab it here in a handy zip file containing both episodes.

Past Commentaries

Kinda
The Ark in Space
The Three Doctors
The Mind Robber
The Rescue

Comments

Matt M 1 year, 8 months ago

What a pleasant surprise! I know what I'm watching tonight!

(The Apprentice. But then maybe Vengeance on Varos ;) )

Oddly enough, Varos is one of those stories fandom loves but I've only felt was a 7/10. And that was before I realised how duff the ending was!

dm 1 year, 7 months ago

Is this really your least favourite title sequence?! It's by far my favourite of the 80s (technically the next season's variation is my real favourite).

I find the 18-22 titles so dull.

Matt M 1 year, 7 months ago

Hmm, I think it's my least favourite. It feels like it is trying too hard, but that's from the POV of a modern audience member. Maybe back in the mid 80s the blaze of additional colour was seen as appropriate?

dm 1 year, 7 months ago

Hmmm I really think we should believe the victim when it comes to Colin's costume objections.

plutoniumboss 1 year, 7 months ago

Was JMT the original troll showrunner?

Well, obviously Patrick McGoohan was the first, but the point stands.

Citizen_Alan 1 year, 7 months ago

Agreed about the costume. That picture above made me profoundly sad when I saw it and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized -- Colin Baker with a reasonably good script could do smoldering anger better than any Classic Doctor (Tom Baker in that famous scene from The Pirate Planet is the only one who even comes close.) When he was in that particular zone, he really was a different and interesting Doctor ... who was utterly sabotaged from episode one by the psychotic clown costume. I wish someone with the technology and way too much money and time would go through every CB episode and digitally change his suit to solid black.
DBWF

ferret 11 months, 2 weeks ago

If you did another commentary together, what would you do for McCoy - Paradise Towers?