Eruditorum Presscast: World Enough and Time

I'm joined this week by Chris O'Leary, author of Rebel Rebel, to talk about World Enough and Time. You can get that here.

Comments

Jarl 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Phil continues to stubbornly refuse to learn where the mute button is on his mic.

I think there's no realistic way this story ends without a simm-into-missy regeneration, but then, I've been hilariously wrong about seemingly obvious plot developments when it comes to Moffat Who. Frankly, aside from the fact the classic series never had the cast available and Big Finish had rights issues in their way, it's astounding we've never had a multi-master story until this point. I know you hate the TV movie, but I would have loved a Bruce, Harry, and Missy adventure.

Phil Sandifer 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm more inclined to agree having read DWM and seen the dialogue snippet about Missy not really remembering her regeneration.

Just the barking dogs at the start? Or are there mic problems later?

Jarl 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Just the dogs, though I listened to both in a row so I got a double dose, including the part where they were interrupting Elliot.

Phil Sandifer 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, I generally do try to mute around them, but they're a challenge to say the least. They were particularly bad this time, though, so I put them out about ten minutes in.

Kyle Edwards 2 months, 3 weeks ago

To be fair, the Two Masters trilogy of audios with the Beavers Master and the MacQueen Master was released in 2016, so...

Forrest Leeson 2 months, 3 weeks ago

No on-screen regeneration: Missy regenerated from the reconstituted copy of Harold made from the Master's ring — this one had the "Rassilon did this to me" epiphany and actually is willing to reform — whereas Harold simply freshened up after 10 left the funeral pyre (the Master, after all, has experience at being a crispy critter for extended periods, and so could shake it off).

Jarl 2 months, 3 weeks ago

A metacrisis Master? It would certainly make that look he gives the Doctor in The End of Time when Wilf says what happened to Donna even funnier than it already was.

dm 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Just about to listen. I love it when my two favourite blogs about my two native mythologies cross pollinate like this

Comment deleted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Comment deleted 2 months, 3 weeks ago

dm 2 months, 3 weeks ago

As far as "What's Nardole for?" I think I've hit upon a simple explanation: Nardole is there to be silly. Many, including Jack, have commented on Capaldi's depressive take on the Doctor this season. With Nardole around, he's freed up to explore a few more shades of the Doctor's psyche without dragging the show into "crying in the rain" soppiness. It's an approach that works really well, as we can appreciate the depths of Capaldi's performance without getting to caught up in the dreary angst of it all. What felt a little forced in season 8 was the more Smith-esque zaniness of the character, as well as his hard-edged grumpiness. In Nardole we get almost a parody of both and Capaldi's Doctor feels a little more well rounded and believable as a result.

Dustin 2 months, 3 weeks ago

No luck googling the lyrics of the song that opens the podcast. Does anyone know what it is?

mr_mond 2 months, 3 weeks ago

The standard answer around here is, I believe, “a transmission from the future”. I generally like to be more helpful than that and will direct you to Seeming’s page on Bandcamp. Looking at the tracklist of their upcoming album might prove fruitful.

Dustin 2 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks!

Whittso 2 months, 3 weeks ago

At last! I've need desperate to know