Saturday Waffling (December 19th, 2015)

Happy almost solstice.

Behind on everything, like one is before Christmas. The conspicuously delayed next Last War in Albion chapter is proving very thorny. I think it will be good, but the punishing nature of writing it is making me eye Fearful Symmetry nervously, lemme tell you.

We recorded the Christmas Special Shabcast this afternoon, and by we I basically mean everyone. That's very silly. Thursday I believe?

Here's one that ought be interesting: under what circumstances will you be watching The Husbands of River Song?

Comments

Janine 1 year, 12 months ago

At home, on Christmas Day, with my family. I get the holidays off so I always get to watch the special when it airs. And celebrate Christmas, which is somewhat more important.

taiey 1 year, 12 months ago

In NZ it'll be Boxing Day, which would normally be quite a good answer to the question "what do you do on Boxing Day?", except that that will be my proper celebrating day, so River Who will be pushed to the 27th or squeezed in after we get home.

Jack Graham 1 year, 12 months ago

Thursday morning, yes. Your Christmas Eve treat.

AntonB 1 year, 12 months ago

With geeky friends after a lovely day of festive frivolity but also with all the trepidation that the words 'Doctor Who Christmas Special featuring River Song' conjures. I'm hoping the pseudo science antidote of "I've eaten and drunk too much, feeling sleepy, oh what the hell it's Christmas!" kicks in and I'll be pleasantly surprised but all the forced jollity and insistance that "It's a romp!" in the pre publicity doesn't inspire me much.

John G Wood 1 year, 12 months ago

I'll be at home, with my family (including a friend who counts), watching it (probaby not quite) live on our reasonably sized telly.

In other news, my two teenage offspring and I have started a podcast where we talk Doctor Who (what else?). There's a short introductory one up already; the first actual episode discussion is recorded and should be up very soon (probably tomorrow). We are hoping to get another out on Christmas Day, but that seems increasingly unlikely since we haven't even recorded it yet. We are aiming for about 20 minutes per story, plus music.

If you want to try it out, visit https://norwoodinstitute.wordpress.com/. Please pardon the unpolished look of the site, we hope this will improve in the future.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Dadalama 1 year, 12 months ago

I actually cannot stand jealousy. So I don't think I will be watching it.

Caitlin 1 year, 12 months ago

Probably a bit hungover, first thing in the morning on Boxing Day! Presuming where I am has internet that is...

Tim B. 1 year, 12 months ago

All I can say for certainty is that I'll watch it before I read any reviews, I'm at my brother's for Christmas so TV will come a very distant 3rd or 4th place behind family, lego-building for nieces, beating brother in any trivia post-meal competition we may have etc. I'll have enough data to download it from iPlayer and watch it on my phone early Boxing day probably.

Frezno 1 year, 12 months ago

At 10:30 PM Newfoundland time, which is when Space airs it on the TV here. With luck, I'll be back from traditional drinks with extended family to catch it live. If not, thank goodness for the PVR.

AuntyJack 1 year, 12 months ago

High on codeine/iboprufen/paracetamol (bursitis) and weed (no medicinal reason) after illegally downloading it on boxing day.
Not watching it with my daughter as she's missed most of this season and the last due to parental fiat deciding at 2 and 3/4 years old some might be a bit too scary for her.
OTOH she's a fan of the classic series (which Doctor do you want to watch? "The old Doctor".) for some reason - she loves the 5 Doctors and some of Tom Baker's run.
She instinctively knows that Daleks are bad, and can recognise the TARDIS from a grainy photo at 200 paces.

AuntyJack 1 year, 12 months ago

Though she likes 'Dinosaurs on a Spaceship' because it has the Doctor, dinosaurs and robots.

AuntyJack 1 year, 12 months ago

AuntyJack 1 year, 12 months ago

Fecking idiot captcha.

Jane Campbell 1 year, 12 months ago

This one airs early, right? So we might catch it before dinner. Probably not, though. It'll probably be after dinner and several glasses of wine, with my Mom, my nephews, and my cousin. And possibly my Dad. Oh, and we'll be at my sister's house.

Jarl 1 year, 12 months ago

Probably the usual circumstances.

Man, The Force Awakens was pretty good.

docLeon 1 year, 12 months ago

Sat on the sofa - maybe after dinner depending on what time we cooked. Just like any other Doctor Who Saturday. Except it'll be Friday.

Yonatan Bryant 1 year, 12 months ago

on the 25th with the family after we get back from Star Wars

Jane Campbell 1 year, 12 months ago

Almost certainly at time of broadcast, in a chair surrounded with Stuff, and with a nice cup of tea and a mince pie. Possibly with my niece (although she's taken to watching Doctor Who on her own in her room this year and we discuss it afterwards).

Daibhid C 1 year, 12 months ago

That was me, I have no idea what the hell happened there.

Jane Campbell 1 year, 12 months ago

The Chair Agenda is honored.

Jarl 1 year, 12 months ago

Anna!

Anthony Herrera 1 year, 12 months ago

Probably alone in the parking lot booth where I work the overnight shift on the 7 year old laptop that my friend gave me 4 years ago when he got a new one being interrupted every 5 to 10 minutes to deal with drunks complaining that $18 is too much to pay for parking in San Antonio which it totally is. Or I could just wait and watch it with my family the next day. I don't see that happening though.

Camestros Felapton 1 year, 12 months ago

Boxing Day - which is our traditional geek-out day i.e. movie during the day followed by Doctor Who in the evening. However, couldn't cope with waiting a few days for Star Wars: Wake Up R2! so we might skip the movie this year. Father Christmas is rumoured to be bringing me Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell so it maybe a Regency magic marathon instead.

Eric Gimlin 1 year, 12 months ago

Sometime Boxing Day, once it becomes available on Amazon; since I don't have cable.

Eugene 1 year, 12 months ago

I will be in Puerto Rico visiting in-laws who have rented a beach house.

I'll be watching on my own, probably after everyone has gone to bed, on my Chromebook, with headphones, via Amazon subscription. Usually Amazon sends the link to subscribers the day after broadcast.

Ozyman.Jones 1 year, 12 months ago

Downloaded and watched a couple of days later with my two older boys when we can find the time... the way all our Doctor Who is watched now days. I'd venture to say that nothing, not one program, is watched 'live' in our house any more.

Comment deleted 1 year, 12 months ago

Daru 1 year, 11 months ago

I will be watching it on iPlayer at home with my partner and no one else, in the Scottish Lowlands, likely sometime after broadcast and after we have had our little seasonal drink in a little village's pub that stays open for the day.

Daru 1 year, 11 months ago

I will be watching it on iPlayer with just my partner in the Scottish Lowlands, likely sometime after broadcast and after we have had our little seasonal drink in our little village's pub that stays open for the day.