An Unearthly Book Relaunch

Eruditorum Press is pleased to announce the rerelease of TARDIS Eruditorum Volume 1: William Hartnell after several months of being off-sale. This book contains edited and expanded versions of all of the Hartnell-era blogposts alongside nineteen book-exclusive essays on topics including Dan Dare comics, David Whitaker's novelization of The DaleksAn Adventure in Space and Time, and a variety of novels and Big Finish audios.

The book is available at the following links.

Amazon US: Kindle, Paperback

Amazon UK: Kindle, Paperback

Smashwords (for non-Kindle e-readers)

If you've already purchased the book through Amazon or Smashwords you should be able to re-download it and have it immediately update to the new version. If you've already bought a paper copy, I regret that I cannot automatically update it for you. The contents of this edition and the previous one are substantially the same; the main difference is that my name is correct. There are two new essays, one on Big Finish's The Beginning, the other on their First Doctor Adventures box set, but these are deliberately minor treats presented as plums for obsessive people who feel obliged to rebuy the book as opposed to incentives to get anyone to do so.

Thanks to everyone who has bought a copy in the past or who intends to buy one now. And especially thanks to James Taylor both for the cover and for the update to it.

Comments

David 1 week, 2 days ago

I'd love to get the updated one, but alas deleting and re-downloading it to Kindle is still getting the old version.

I notice when I go to "Manage Your Content and Devices" page on Amazon that some books I bought have an "Update Available" button whereas the new Hartnell book doesn't. Will that have something to do with it?

Elizabeth Sandifer 1 week, 2 days ago

No idea. I know people who have successfully upgraded the book, but you're also not the first person to have trouble. Give it til Monday (I uploaded a new edition last night to fix a ToC problem) and if it's still not working get in touch with Amazon. But if they give a useful solution, please do report back.

Kazin 1 week, 2 days ago

I had to email customer support a few times, but they got it straightened out. Delete the purchase from both your device(s) and from your account in "Manage My Content and Devices," then without repurchasing or downloading the updated version, "Sync" your device. That worked for me, but that was after a few emails to support, so ymmv, David.

Enjoyed the new essays, and was mildly surprised to see you didn't outright hate "The Beginning" as I did, Elizabeth (not that you *loved* it, either, of course). The read on Quadrigger Stoyn was a good one, too. I didn't hate the First Doctor Box Set, but that second story is pretty wretched. My biggest gripe was how Ian and Barbara in particular are written poorly throughout, as you note.

Looking forward to the other updated books (and to looking up this post when they come out, since Amazon will probably make it hard to update again lol)!

David 1 week, 1 day ago

Got it sorted in the end, with help from Amazon customer service. It sounded like the upgrade had to be sorted at their end, though rebooting my Kindle might have done it earlier.

Either way, glad to have the newest version!

entropicdecay 1 week, 1 day ago

"Delete the purchase from both your device(s) and from your account in "Manage My Content and Devices," then without repurchasing or downloading the updated version, "Sync" your device."

I tried that but it just removed it entirely. Is it because I didn't contact Amazon support first?

I purchased the book again, but it STILL has not updated...

entropicdecay 1 week, 1 day ago

Am contacting Amazon to try and get it sorted out.

Simon Simmons 1 week, 2 days ago

Will this be the edition sent to the backers of the 7th Dr volume who went for the paperback set of Eruditorums

Tibère 1 week, 2 days ago

Yessss, I was about to ask that! Can't wait to get my paws on it.

Elizabeth Sandifer 1 week, 2 days ago

Yes. (It's why I've been slow getting the paperbacks out; it was going to be close enough that I felt bad. The problem recurs with Volume 2, but I've got to draw the line somewhere.)

Ian 1 week, 1 day ago

I was hoping to ask something along the same lines, as I threw in extra during the Volume 7 Kickstarter to get ebooks of the earlier TE volumes (already have the paperback editions). Wasn't sure how those were going to be handled with the new editions coming out.

Elizabeth Sandifer 1 week, 1 day ago

See answer in the comment immediately above yours.

Ian 1 week, 1 day ago

Got it. Many thanks, Elizabeth!

Jack 1 week, 2 days ago

Excellent. I wasn't aware that the new edition would be free for current eBook owners, so this was a lovely surprise. Keep up the great work!

jim5et 1 week, 1 day ago

that is a stunningly lovely cover

Comment deleted 1 week, 1 day ago

Comment deleted 1 week, 1 day ago

Matthew Jones 1 week ago

Hi Love your work - any idea if the up dates will also be available through iTunes as that were I originally made the purchases?

Elizabeth Sandifer 1 week ago

I don't know. I'm currently having some difficulties getting the book out to iTunes, and once I do I don't know if they'll treat it as the same book, as I put them out through a third-party service and don't directly interact with their database.

Comment deleted 5 days, 21 hours ago