Eruditorum Press

Doxing gods

Skip to content

Christine Kelley

Christine Kelley writes about science fiction and fantasy, popular music, radical politics, and revolutionary Christianity. You might know her for her semi-retired project Dreams of Orgonon, a song-by-song study of Kate Bush. Currently her main project is Nowhere and Back Again, a psychogeography of J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth. Expect queerness, radical solidarity, wizardry, and the death of capitalism.Support Christine on Patreon.

9 Comments

1. liminal fruitbat
    April 2, 2021 @ 1:05 pm

I’m really excited to see where this is going!

2. Anton B
    April 2, 2021 @ 2:47 pm

Love me some psychogeography. I’m totally up for this journey. Wherever and whenever it takes us.

3. Cameron Marnoch
    April 2, 2021 @ 7:59 pm

This looks really cool. For a little bit of personal psychogeography, Tolkien’s bust is within the University of Oxford’s English Faculty Library. There isn’t anything else like it in that library (if I remember correctly), and it shows Tolkien’s strange place within Oxford, where he’s beloved uncritically by so many even as most 20th century literature lectures are fairly snobby.

There’s also an Old English lectureship named after him, but that’s less strange. There’s a lot of lectureships named after dead academics.

(I can send pics of the bust if Christine wants it!)

• Martin Porter
      April 5, 2021 @ 7:12 am

Tolkien’s knowledge of Old English and the Anglo-Saxon myths is probably the least controversial thing about him. Even if he’d never written a word of his own fiction he’d still have a place amongst the dreaming spires of Oxford for his radical reinterpretatioin of Beowolf. Ironically what he did that made him famous was he reclaimed Beowolf from the academics and looked at it as a work or art again.

• Roy
        April 5, 2021 @ 11:43 am

“The Monsters and the Critics” is a wonderful essay. I did a seminar on Beowulf in college and that was really the standout piece we read that wasn’t Beowulf itself. (This reminds me, I need to read that new translation.)

And Christine, I love what you’re doing with this project!

• CJM123
        April 7, 2021 @ 8:45 am

I think that Tolkien’s bust is still more due to his place in wider culture as the Pinnacle of Oxford Don, over his (impressive, if slightly dated) medieval scholarship. There are a few people who could have bust in the Oxford English Library based on their scholarship at Oxford. The only one who did also wrote The Lord of the Rings.

4. Martin Porter
    April 5, 2021 @ 4:46 am

He was a reactionary’s reactionary, but hated fascists and was loved by hippies. Complex guy in a complex world. This should be interesting.

5. Daru
    April 12, 2021 @ 9:22 am

Very excited that this journey is happening, and I am really fascinated to see where a Tolkein psychogeography goes!

6. Przemek
    April 22, 2021 @ 5:55 am

Very interesting. I’m looking forward to reading this series.